Mount Markham Board of Education
"The school with a proud rural heritage, challenging and inspiring children to be life-long learners"
2020-2021 Board of Education Goals
In order to create a clearly defined vision for success and a system of accountability necessary to support that vision, the Mount Markham Board of Education has developed the following goals to guide the progress of the district. Each building will develop goals that support district goals and address building needs. District goals, along with building goals, are developed using a shared decision making model and measurable benchmarks are used and reported regularly to assess progress.
1. The Mount Markham Central School is committed to providing a rigorous academic program that aligns with New York State Standards; preparing students for college and/or career readiness and creating strong PK-12 connections and collaborations as supported by ongoing professional development.
2. The Mount Markham Central School is committed to leading technology integration education by supporting the development and implementation of innovative programs that promote the capable use of technology and digital media strategically throughout the district.
3. The Mount Markham Central School community maintains high expectations for all community members. The campus environment will be safe, respectful, supportive, and inclusive. All community members will be held accountable for their actions that interfere or negatively impact the school learning environment.
4. The Mount Markham Central School is committed to community engagement. We recognize the importance and embrace the opportunity to engage with parents, community members and all stakeholders in support of our students and our school district.
5. It is the goal of the Mount Markham Central School District to support sustainable programs that are effectively managed and implemented. Annually, building and department leaders will thoroughly assess needs and make recommendations for program improvement.
Cynthia Miller (President), Phone: 315-822-3390 - Term Expires: 2024
Jay Kulczak (Vice-President), Phone: 315-734-0580 - Term Expires: 2023
Philip Casler, Phone: 315-822-5135 - Term Expires: 2022
Scot Clark, Term Expires: 2023
Robert Cross, Phone: 315-749-6964 - Term Expires: 2022
Thomas Huxtable, Phone: 315-822-6860 - Term Expires: 2024
Jennifer Maine, Phone: 315-822-2825 - Term Expires: 2023
The Board is composed of seven members, elected by the public, who serve three-year terms of office without paid compensation. No person or group of persons acts in the name of the Board. All motions require a majority vote before the Board can act. A Board member is in official capacity only during an official Board meeting.
The Board of Education is the policy making body for the School District. The Superintendent is responsible for the execution of the policies set by the Board. The general responsibilities of the Board are to:
- Select the Superintendent of Schools as chief school officer to operate the school district.
- Identify District philosophy and direction.
- Adopt District goals; monitor and evaluate progress toward achieving goals.
- Recommend a budget for voter approval
- Communicate District needs to the community
- Approve staff appointments
- Oversee supervision of district buildings and facilities.
- Ensure safe transportation for pupils.
The Superintendent of Schools is responsible for the implementation of the educational programs and policies adopted by the Board, and the execution of all decisions made by the Board concerning the internal operations of the school system. The Superintendent advises the Board on matters related to the effective management of the schools.